The DOJ is weighing the possibility of additional searches after the agency conducted a search of Biden’s Wilmington, Delaware residence on Friday and discovered six more items containing classified documents.
Details of the search were revealed in a statement from Biden’s personal lawyer, Bob Bauer.
“DOJ took possession of materials it deemed within the scope of its inquiry, including six items consisting of documents with classification markings and surrounding materials, some of which were from the President’s service in the Senate and some of which were from his tenure as Vice President,” the statement read. “DOJ also took for further review personally handwritten notes from the vice-presidential years.”
The subject of the classified materials is currently unknown.
Bauer also noted that Biden had allowed the FBI search of his home, meaning that the search was voluntary, not the subject of a warrant or court-authorized process. It is unclear whether the president has authorized any further searches of other locations.
The new discovery contradicts a previous claim from the White House, asserting on January 14 that all searches for classified documents had been completed. Approximately 25 classified documents had already been discovered by Biden’s personal attorneys during searches of Biden’s residence and his old office at the Penn-Biden Center.
Biden has already stated that he has “no regrets” about his mishandling of classified materials, claiming that there was “no there there.”
“We’re fully cooperating, looking forward to getting this resolved quickly,” the president said. “I think you’re gonna find there’s nothing there. I have no regrets. I’m following what the lawyers have told me they want me to do. That’s exactly what we’re doing. There’s no there there.”
According to the Washington Post, the White House and DOJ had agreed to hide Biden’s classified document scandal from the public, despite their repeated assertions that they had been transparent.
The revelation of the Biden administration’s attempted coverup is even more shocking considering the fact that the first batch of documents was discovered right before the 2022 midterms, on November 2.
Critics have been calling out the hypocrisy and double standards of the DOJ, comparing their weak response to Biden’s mishandling of classified documents to the FBI’s raid of former President Donald Trump’s home in search of classified documents. While the DOJ reportedly refused to get involved in the search of Biden’s properties, they were more than willing to take strong actions against Trump.
The news that the DOJ is considering conducting more searches of Biden’s properties raises more concerns, as the hesitancy just further proves that the agency has been politicized.
Meanwhile, White House officials have reportedly grown suspicious — questioning how the scandal was leaked to the press when only a select group of White House and DOJ officials were aware of the situation.